Information We Receive
The information we receive about you (which we refer to collectively as your “Personal Information”) includes Registration Information, Feedback Information, Data Services Information, Use Information and Derived Information:
- “Registration Information” is information you are required to provide to register with us when you register with DexCom in connection your use of a DexCom Product, DexCom Service or Software App. This information may include your name, address, telephone number, email and other contact information, as well as information regarding your use of DexCom Products, including the serial number for your User Device.
- “Feedback Information” is information you submit to us in connection with your use of DexCom Products, DexCom Services, or Software Apps, whether through our Website, through our Data Services, or otherwise, regarding DexCom, DexCom Products, DexCom Services, Software Apps or other matters relating to us and our business, including the metadata relating to that information.
- “Data Services Information” is information we receive and transmit through our Data Services or Software Apps, and includes:
- Glucose readings;
- Information associated with each glucose reading, including date, time, and device identifier;
- Thresholds input into Data Services or Software Apps and notifications arising from those thresholds;
- Any of the data generated or used by your DexCom Products to produce other Data Services Information or otherwise available to us through your DexCom Products, such as for technical support;
- Information provided by you or about you by another person you have designated to receive any of your Personal Information through functionality of a DexCom Service or Software App (we call each such person a “Designated Recipient”).
- “Use Information” includes:
- Information we receive from the computer, mobile phone or other device you use in connection with DexCom Services and Software Apps, and information we receive from Software Apps regarding your use, which may include your IP address and other information regarding your computer, internet service, the browser you use, and your activities while using DexCom Services and Software Apps, such as how often you open Software Apps, your settings and other activity regarding your use of the components of DexCom Services and Software Apps;
- Information we receive from you in connection with our request for comments or feedback on third parties;
- Information we may receive from advertisers and other third parties when you click on advertisements or links to third party websites while using DexCom Services and Software Apps, including the pages you visit, your activity on those pages and your purchases or other transactions with those third parties.
- “Derived Information” is information that we create by combining and/or analyzing some or all of your Personal Information.
- You may update your Registration Information at any time, and you agree to keep your Registration Information current at all times while your account is active.
- You must comply with the terms of the Agreement.
- If you are a Prescription Device User, you must only use your User Device as permitted by the DexCom Product Labeling for your personal use to obtain glucose readings.
What We Do With the Information We Receive
- Registration Information: We use Registration Information to manage your account and DexCom Products and DexCom Services applicable to you, and as otherwise described below. We also use your email address to contact you regarding your account. We do not make any Registration Information public. We will share Registration Information with the DexCom Store (https://store.dexcom.com/) to link your use of DexCom Services and Software Apps with your use of DexCom Products and the DexCom Store, and it may be accessible by our personnel providing DexCom Services.
- Feedback Information: Feedback Information may be used by us, and provided by us to our customers and third parties, in the form you provide as well as in excerpted, aggregated and anonymized forms, with or without attribution to you as the source. We may also use Feedback Information in our advertising, marketing and other communications with the public and our business relationships, as well as in our internal communications, in each case with or without attribution to you as the source.
- Data Services Information: We collect Data Services Information and store it on our servers, process it using Data Services, and transmit Data Services Information to the Prescription Device User and each Designated Recipient, where applicable. We may use Data Services Information in connection with our provision of Data Services, and for our operations, administration and product development, maintenance and support. We may remove from Data Services Information information that identifies you, and we may use such de-identified data for our business purposes as we determine, including disclosing such de-identified data to third parties for their use as we determine.
- Personal Information and Solicitations: We may use Personal Information of you and your Designated Recipients, if applicable, to determine which emails and notices we send to you and your Designated Recipients, if applicable, including emails and notices regarding opportunities relating to our Website and our products and services (we refer to these emails as “Solicitations”). You may opt out of Solicitations by contacting us by email at CustomerService@dexcom.com or by mail at the address below, and then you may opt in again through one of those contacts. We may share your email address or other Registration Information with third parties with which we contract for the purpose of providing you with Solicitations we think may be of interest to you, unless you opt out.
- Personal Information and Your DexCom Experience: We may use Personal Information of you and your Designated Recipients, if applicable, to tailor for you and your Designated Recipients, if applicable, the experience when using DexCom Services, and the content viewed when using DexCom Services. We may use Personal Information to manage our Website and DexCom Products and DexCom Services, to improve our business and provide new website and product and service features, and otherwise to manage our business, but without disclosing your Registration Information except as necessary for such purposes.
- De-Identification: We may “de-identify” your Personal Information by removing all information that could identify you, and we may use such de-identified information without restriction.
What Happens to Information You Share With Others
- We have no control over Designated Recipients, and once a Designated Recipient receives your Data Services Information, even though the Agreement restricts the use of Data Services Information, the Designated Recipient could use and provide your Data Services Information to others in violation of the terms of the Agreement. We do not verify the contact information you provide for each Designated Recipient, and once you provide such contact information, until you terminate the designation, we will send Data Services Information to the contact information you have provided, and you are responsible for the accuracy of that information.
- Authentication: to identify you as you use DexCom Services and Software Apps, and as you visit and use different pages of our Website.
- Security: to enable or support security features of DexCom Services and Software Apps.
- Advertising: to help us deliver advertisements to you that are more relevant to you.
- Features: various features of DexCom Services and Software Apps may depend upon the information stored in our Cookies to perform properly.
- Performance: to help us provide a better user experience, such as helping information load faster into your browser and respond faster to your inputs.
- Analytics and Research: to track your use and activities both within DexCom Services and Software Apps and externally to enable us to improve our communications with you and to tailor your experience, such as features of our Website pages, advertisements and Solicitations provided to you.
- You may block our cookies, but then you may not be able to use certain features of DexCom Services or Software Apps.
- We may receive certain health information of yours that is “protected health information” under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (“HIPAA”). When we receive protected health information, such information will be subject to the requirements under HIPAA and the HITECH Act, and the regulations effective under each of those Acts.
More on Privacy
- Children’s Online Privacy Protection: DexCom does not permit any person under 18 to subscribe directly for DexCom Services or Software Apps or to purchase directly DexCom Products. A parent or legal guardian may subscribe for a Prescription Device User who is under 18, but no person under 18 is permitted to use DexCom Services or Software Apps without the express agreement of a parent or legal guardian to the terms of the Agreement, which require, among other things, that the parent or legal guardian is responsible for designating Designated Recipients, connecting the User Device to DexCom Services or Software Apps and interacting in all ways with DexCom Services and Software Apps, and ensuring that all communications with us come from the parent or legal guardian and not from the person under 18.
- Adults With Guardians, Conservators or Other Legal Supervision: DexCom does not permit any person to subscribe directly for DexCom Services, or Software Apps or to purchase directly DexCom Products if that person lacks the legal competence to enter into a contract and bind the person to the terms of the Agreement. A legal guardian, conservator or other person with the legal right to do so may subscribe for a Prescription Device User who lacks the legal competence to enter into a contract and be bound to the terms of the Agreement, but no such Prescription Device User is permitted to use DexCom Services or Software Apps without the express agreement of a legal guardian, conservator or other person with the legal right to provide such agreement to the terms of the Agreement, which require, among other things, that such legal guardian or other person is responsible for designating Designated Recipients, connecting the User Device to DexCom Services and Software Apps and interacting in all ways with DexCom Services and Software Apps, and ensuring that all communications with us come from the such legal guardian or other person and not from the Prescription Device User.
- Phishing: We do not and will not, at any time, request Registration Information in a non-secure or unsolicited email or telephone communication. Identity theft and the practice currently known as "phishing" are of great concern to us. Safeguarding information to help protect you from identity theft is a priority for us. For more information about phishing, visit the Federal Trade Commission website: www.ftc.gov.
- Security: DexCom uses commercially reasonable standards of technology and operational security to protect Personal Information. Personal Information transmitted through DexCom Services is transmitted in encrypted form.
- Do Not Track Disclosure: In accordance with the Do-Not-Track amendments to the California Online Privacy Protection Act, we inform you that we do not currently respond to “do not track” signals or similar messages from your browser.
Terminating Your Account
- You may terminate your DexCom account by following the instructions at the appropriate page at our Website. Followers may terminate their Follower status by canceling the Prescription Device User in the applicable DexCom Service or by deleting the applicable Software App.
Applicable Laws and Permitted Locations
ATTN.: Privacy Officer
6340 Sequence Drive
San Diego, CA 92121